Send a little tropical flair with this delicious Piña Colada inspired mason jar cake!
Recently I received a request to see if I could send a Piña Colada overseas. Sending a Piña Colada overseas came with a few complications. First of all, it would most definitely melt in transit. Not to mention I am sure Customs would have a problem with someone attempting to ship a deliciously boozy frozen treat. Since I love to send our deployed friends yummy treats sealed inside mason jars I figured a Piña Colada mason jar cake would be the way to go.
One of the main reasons I love making mason jar cakes to ship overseas is that they are easy. They are easy to make, easy to pack and easy to enjoy. Our family and friends that find themselves in far off lands often miss the little pieces of home, especially those who are deployed to war torn areas. Enjoying a homemade treat is a great way to escape home for a little while. For this recipe all you need to do is mix all the ingredients, separate into mason jars, and bake.
The Piña Colada mason jar cake, I felt came out a little more dense then majority of the mason jar cakes I make, however my husband and friends assured me the denseness was worth the taste.
It is also important to remember when sending this cake overseas, do not add the frosting. Just seal up the cake while it is still hot and send a can of frosting. It might not be fancy, but it will definitely do the trick.
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Mix butter, sugar and egg until creamed together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until completely combined.
- Oil 3 mason jars and fill 3/4 full with the Pina Colada cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- Put the mason jar lids on while still hot, and allow the mason jars to seal.
- When shipping overseas make sure to not add any frosting to the cake. The only frosting that I found makes the long journey is the kind you buy in the can at the store.
What would you pack into a care package with Piña Colada Mason Jar Cakes? I am thinking some shaved coconut, sunscreen, lip balm, instant tropical punch*, and maybe a new pair of regulation sunglasses!