Fresh picked peaches and apples come together to create one delicious peach applesauce!
Peach applesauce is my most recent experiment in adding a twist to my mason jar adventures. I have mixed fresh peaches and ice tea to make Peach Ice Tea Butter. Most recently I’ve mixed the idea of pumpkin pie with cake to make my Pumpkin Pie Mason Jar Cake.
When we stopped at a farm stand on our way home from one of weekend adventures I noticed they already had some fresh picked apples. The original plan was to make applesauce, however since I hate following directions, I decided peach applesauce would be even better!
First I had the fun job of peeling, pitting, coring and slicing up the peaches and apples.
I used my Simple Peach Syrup as the liquid for this recipe. If you don’t have enough peaches to make the peach syrup you can substitute with apple juice. Making peach applesauce is super simple, you just throw all the ingredients into a large pot and allow it to cook together for 20minutes over a medium heat.
Peaches give off a lot more liquid than apples when they are cooked down, so it is extremely important to use a slotted spoon when transferring the fruit from the sauce pot to your blender or food processor. Since I am not grown up enough to have a large food processor I had to mix my applesauce in smaller batches. I used my large silicon measuring cup* to hold the hot peach applesauce, until I was finished blending my small batches. Then I used the same measuring cup to pour the hot peach applesauce into the mason jars.
Once I was finished making the peach applesauce, I took all the extra liquid and fruit pieces from the sauce pot and ran it through the food processor. I poured the blended mixture into a mason jar and put it directly in the fridge. It was almost like a peach apple cider. We used it as the base for smoothies and mixed with a little vodka for a tasty cocktail!
- 5 Large Green Apples
- 4 White Peaches
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Peach Syrup (or 1/2 Cup Apple Juice)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- pinch of Nutmeg
- Peel and remove the pit of your peaches, cut into quarters and place off to the side
- Core, peel and cut your apples into quarters
- Place your peach and apple quarters into a medium sauce pot over medium heat
- Add the lemon juice, peach syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Allow the mixture to cook for 20minutes over a medium heat
- Once all the fruit is soften, use a slotted spoon to transport fruit to blender or food processor
- Blend fruit into smooth*
- Pour Applesauce into airtight containers (I recommend mason jars)
- Once cooled store in refrigerator**
- *If you need more liquid to make your applesauce smooth use some of the leftover liquid in the sauce pot.
- **If you want to preserve your applesauce: Place in a boiling hot bath for 20minutes, then allow to cool. As long as the tops "pop" your applesauce will be good stored in a cool dry place.
Let me know what you think of my peach applesauce and what fruits you would love to see mixed together!